Greek chicken pastitsada
Greek chicken pastitsada
An easy and quick Nutricook smart pot version of the best Greek comfort food dish “chicken pastitsada ” with a tangy luscious tomato sauce. one of my favorite dishes for my weekly lunch meal-prep.
Pastitsada is a Greek dish that I first taste here in Dubai at a Greek restaurant. And the typical me wanted to cook that dish at home with her own touch. The one I taste was with no wine in it so I wanted to try out the full authentic flavor.
The chicken Pastitsada is based on marinating the chicken with wine and aromas than slow-cooked in tomato sauce. And served over some cooked spaghetti. When I prepare a recipe, the first thing I take into considerations on how to make the recipe convenient for meal prep and how to make it easy and fast for the same reason.
So, my own version of this recipe kept the main concept of the marinade and the cooking in tomato sauce, but instead of the slow cooking, I am going to do it in the pressure cooker (instant-pot) for a faster version. I added some extra seasoning and marinated the chicken with wine, but if you wanted alcohol free you can replace the wine with grape vinegar.
Traditionally it is made with the whole chicken pieces with bones which omit the need of the chicken broth because slowly cooking the chicken with their bones will give you that broth. But for meal-prep our weekday’s lunch, it is usually easier for me to use boneless chicken pieces so I use both with the recipe.
In all cases, this recipe is so delicious with a very deep aromatic flavor with a luscious tomato sauce. it is a very healthy, earthy warm meal that kids and adults will love equally. Kids love everything that includes pasta!
- 1 kg chicken breast boneless but skin-on
- 300 ml cooking dry wine
- ½ tsp sweet pepper
- ½ tsp 7 spices
- ½ tsp grounded cloves
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tbsp grapeseed oil or any neutral vegetable oil
- 1 big onion finely diced
- 2 gloves garlic minced
- 1 big ripe tomato finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp chili paste optional
- 500 ml chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 500 g spaghetti cooked according to package
- 1For the chicken marinade: mix all the marinade ingredients and marinate the chicken for 2 hours minimum up to overnight.
- 2Remove the chicken from marinade and set the marinade aside, don’t throw. Set the pressure cooker to sauté program and heat oil. add the chicken and brown on all sides. You don’t have to fully cook the chicken; it will cook later on with the sauce. Set the browned chicken aside.
- 3In the same pot, add the onion and scrape the bottom of the pot to collect all the chicken flavors, cook until onion start to turn transparent add the garlic and mix for 30 sec until you can smell the garlic. Add fresh tomato, tomato paste and the chili paste if u added any. Cook it all through for 3 minutes until tomato start to release their juices. Add the chicken broth and chicken marinade we kept aside and mix everything together.
- 4Add back the chicken pieces, some salt and pepper and bring the mixture to boil. Close the pot lid; set the vent position to sealing; cancel the sauté program; set the cooker on high pressure for 15 minutes; let the recipe cook; after the 15 minutes have passed let the cooker naturally release the pressure for 10 minutes.
- 5Quick-release the remaining pressure and open the lid, taste for seasoning and adjust to taste.
- 6Cook the pasta according to package and serve the chicken with the sauce on top of the pasta enjoy!
Serving Size: 4
Serving Per Recipe: 4
Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value*
- Total Fat3.6g 5%
- Saturated Fat 0.4g2%
- Trans Fatg
- Total Carbohydrate45.7g15%
- Dietary Fiber 9.9g39%
- Sugars 22.1g
*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calorie a day is used for general nutrition advice.